How We Got Here
WE'VE BUILT AN
BC Place has hosted more than 30 million people since we opened in 1983.
We've hosted an incredible range of historic events, from the royal visit of Queen Elizabeth II, to sold-out Rolling Stones concerts, and everything you can imagine in between.
Some of our most memorable events include:
- The 2014 NHL Heritage Classic – Vancouver Canucks vs. Ottawa Senators
- Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games
- Opening Ceremonies of the 2010 Paralympic Winter Games
- 8 CFL Grey Cup Championships
- Paul McCartney performing his On the Run Tour concert
- Roger Waters’ THE WALL Live
- Two U2 concerts
- Madonna performing her Sticky & Sweet Tour
- Three performances by The Rolling Stones
- Michael Jackson performing his Victory Tour concert
- The world’s largest 10km race: the Vancouver Sun Run
- Major League Baseball (MLB) preseason games
- Filming location for Hollywood blockbusters
- Opening Ceremonies of Expo ‘86
- Visits from the Pope, Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Diana
- And many, many more!
30th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATIONS
In June 2013, we celebrated our 30th anniversary, by inviting British Columbians to share their favourite memories from events at the stadium over the last 30 years. Hundreds of stories were submitted, included memories of visiting the original construction site in 1982, welcoming the world for the ceremonies of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games and seeing Michael Jackson live in concert!
A presentation booklet commemorating the 30th Anniversary of BC Place, including a selection of archival images and personal stories, is available for download here.